Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

San Juan River Spring Break Fishing Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Sky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: San Juan River Spring Break Fishing Report Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,
The river is flowing around 465-cfs. The water clarity is around 3-4 ft. There's moss like usual.
The upper areas been fishing pretty good. Red larva's size #16-22, and princesses have been working good early am. Mid am a dark gray or black size #22-26 midge has been coming off. Black Krystal flash, or black zebra midge, should get a tight line. Egg patterns #16-22, golden nugget or Oregon cheese still getting crunched. Dark leeches,black, gray, or brown on dark days or low light and white or light natural on bright days. I like to dead drift a trailing, red larva or midge pupa, larva's of different flavors(colors), and sizes. Make sure you get them down close to the bottom quickly, and let get down, when it hits bottom, lift the rod tip up like making a down steam mend, if it's a fish set the hook, if it,s not let it settle back in to it's drift again. Try not to move your rig more then what you need to get the line tight on whatever got your flies. The idea is keep your presentation working all the way threw your drift. Some times this will roll some hogs on the bottom. If the fish are rising, try small dark midge cluster patterns. If there gulping try your large black ant or midge cluster patterns.
The braids area is fishing hot. If you get the opportunity to get a run, Red larva's and princesses been smoking, Black zebra's and Kf flash wings working. Egg patterns again. Lots of spawner's on the gravel bars.
Texas Hole down to Crusher Hole {Gravel Pit}.
This area has been fishing good like usual. The red larva's and princesses trailed behind a leech or egg patterns been working early to mid afternoon. A light gray #24-26 midge pupas, scintilla bubble midge or gray Krystal flash midge getting bit. Late am into mid afternoon Gray or chocolate beatis patterns working, flash back pheasant tails, fluff beatis, RS2's. We were taking turns sticking riser's a couple afternoons ago using a #22-24 white calf hair post parachute Adams. I find that the calf hair post is easier to see, for me.
There's a large gray and black midge #20-22 big mac's or my own 3M (Mark's Magic Midge) gray bodied with a black or silver wire rib with a black head. The midge is coming off in the lower river, Durangler's corner down into the bait waters in the afternoons. Also a large beatis #20 mid morning into mid afternoon.
The lake is starting to wake up with the Pike bite going on now. Crappie and the bass bite will start when the water temps get in the mid 50's

San Juan River Fishing Forecast:

Spring is here. The Swallows and Beatis will be here very soon!
Target Species:

Trophy Rainbow, Brown Trout, Pike. Bass, Carp
Blue Sky Flyfishing
Tak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent report, great job.

Tak
Blue Sky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tak,
I just want to say thanks for the compliment on the F.R.
My wife ( Peggy at Fisheads) knows you.
Tight Line's to you,
Mark
Blue Sky Flyfishing
sajjad123

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are speaking of a spinning or baitcasting rod, I am no help as I am a fly caster. There may be others on this site who also bass fish or go for warm water species who can comment on this.

If you are speaking of a fly rod that you would fish on a river (assuming it is 60 ft or more across) then I would say both are too short. I am not aware of 5 ft fly rods but have a couple in the 61/2 to 7 foot range that I use on small streams.

Hope this helps.

We offer best quality ccie training test papers and network plus study guide materials. You can get our usna guaranteed www.bostonconservatory.edu questions and Rasmussen College to help you in University of Kansas Medical Center the real exam of United States Naval Academy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: