Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midge help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oddtimefisherman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Midge help Reply with quote

Hi all, I am new to the forum, and making my first trip to the San Juan in early December. I was wondering if anyone could share a few go-to midge patterns that I could attempt to tie.....also, I am wondering if the size 20 midges I have tied for fishing Hot Creek in the Sierras are too big.....any help would be greatly appreciated! - Mike
jshin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a place to start your search. It is part of this site.

http://www.ifly4trout.com/flypatterns.htm

Good luck and tight lines

Jerry
oddtimefisherman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Jerry. I found that link after I posted...great site and lot's of good info/patterns.
Tak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this reaches you in time.

Here are several recommendations for midge patterns. As far as midges go you will find that the larva stage of the midge should be tied in the 18-22 size range; recommend that you use a TMC 200R or DaiRiki 270 hook in sizes 18-20 to represent the larva. Red is the predominate color for larva but also tie in creams, olives, tan and hot orange. Midge pupa will range in sizes 22-26 but at time you may need to go smaller. You can use a variety of hook styles to meet your needs; TMC 2457, 2487, TMC 2488, TMC 100's, DaiRiki 060, Daiichi 110 are a few examples. There are several species of midges hatching and tying patterns in the Olive-brown, olive, cream, gray, black, orange, pink and red should cover your bases. Try tying some pupas using stripped and dyed peacock herls.

Annalids can be tied using burnt orange colors, Hot orange along with Brown shades and do try tying some up using pink vernille; caught a few using a Pink worm as my attractor fly.

Look at the river reports from Chris Taylor and Bubba Smith at Fishheads, call Ray at Float n Fish or contact Thadeus or Peggy at Fishheads for the latest reports on patterns.

If you plan on fishing BWO dries, I'd suggest that you tie up a few using a very dark dun type of wing instead of the more traditional dun colored wings. I favor tying a Comparadun using dun deer hair and then bringing a Black sharpie to make the wing darker if needed. Bubba has made a believer out of me to fish darker colored wings. BWO's in szes 12-24, sometimes the small Pseudo's are hatching also.

Hope this helps and good fishing.
Tak
smithjon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hare a few go-to midge patterns that I could attempt to tie.....also, I am wondering if the size 20 midges I have tied for fishing Hot Creek in the Sierras are too big.....any help would be greatly a
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fly Tying All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: