Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Jujubee Midge pattern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishnPreach

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: The Jujubee Midge pattern Reply with quote

Question for all you SJ fishermen:

My friend and I read a post on here not long ago about a guy that claimed he only fishes the Jujubee version of the midge (no thread midges). This fly is tied using super hair, and Charlie Craven has the fly's posted on his website located here, http://www.danica.com/flytier/ccraven/ccraven.htm

I have tied a few of these in the white and black (zebra midge) colors and would like to tie more, but having not really fished this midge much on the SJ I am interested to know if others have tied this same fly using the super hair, and how do you rate the fly for durability and do you feel it catches as many or more than a thread and wire midge of the same type.

I was somewhat negative on my reply to my friend about this type of fly and its construction...probably out of ignorance (having always tied the thread and wire versions), and am seeking wisdom, and knowledge from others who have tied and fished this fly.

Thanks in advance for your input! Ryno, that includes you!!! LOL
Ryno

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fished the Jujubee before, but mostly in olive. I have had some sucess with it in the past, although I wouldn't consider it my "go to pattern" as far as midge patterns are concerned. In fact, now that I think about it, most of my go to patterns are midge larvae patterns and baetis patterns. I rarely fish midge emerges that much any more. Perhaps I have become a baetis snob on the San Juan? But I enjoy fishing a baetis hatch much more. Unfortunately, it is not always on the menu.

As far as durability is concerned, I have not noticed it falling apart with any more frequency than other midge patterns.

I would probably classify the Jujubee as one of those patterns that are good to have in your box, but probably not one I would select if I were fishing in the Bi-Fly tourney.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your fall trip on the Juan! It's a beautiful time to be there.
herefishy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time when we were fishing the upper flats and cable hole a lot, I used JuJu's a lot, and they were very successful for me. Black/white, black/red, yellow/black, olive/black all were super. We don't go upstream a lot any more, so I didn't try them much this trip. They are a little time consuming to tie compared to thread midges.
hafiz_zain1515

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a dead chicken? I can't find any pictures or recipies online. See it alot in the fishing reports, and seems to be a good dry fly. Is it a decent indicator fly for an emerger dropper?
Carp Catcher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dead chicken is just a big griffiths knat. It's a great midge cluster in a good hatch and it's usually used for an indicator above a small midge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fly Tying All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: