Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Fly(s) for 2008

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Best Fly(s) for 2008 Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I would like to hear from all of you on which fly (or flies) worked best for you on the San Juan in 2008.

For me, 3 flies stood out:

1. Juju Midge Pupa
2. Cream Larva
3. Black Wooly Bugger

Thanks

Vinny
Ken Roberts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By far my most consistent and productive combination was a Rick Takahashi black midge emerger paired with a red blood worm both 24's mostly (alternating top and bottom flies.) Ken.
mcgurtis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: best fly Reply with quote

my "go-to" fly is a version of a red midge larva small sizes, anything bigger than 20 was worthless. I like a chocolate colored foam back emerger as well

Curtis
wogger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: best flies Reply with quote

I fish alot of stuff down there. My most used, most consistant combo is cream larvae and red larvae. I have used cream micro tubing for cream and red spanflex for the red.

I have added different materials into both recently. I found a Spirit River product called Midge-Bodi. It is a thin sparkley synthetic material. I use white for cream larvae and red for the red larvae. I don't use head cement anymore because I used Sally Hansens exclusively.

I coat the whole body of each color with Sally Hansens and the fish love the hell out of them. I like to fish the sparkley types especially now when the river is off color.

I generally fish size #20 or smaller to #24.

Nothing Makes a Fish Bigger Than Almost Being Caught!
Midgeaholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: go to flies Reply with quote

I pay alot of attention to size shape and color(hues) threads take on very different hues when wet. Some changes are almost imperceptible but important to the trout. This is another one of those research things I do. Gary borger once said " If trout see as well as we do , we wouldn't catch them. But, some things they can see very well." I use alot of emerger patterns as well as midges(dry). Black larva pattern is one of my favorites ( my creation as far as the tie) as well as brown. The emergers are black and gray. midgeaholic
rong

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: BEST FLYS FOR 2008 Reply with quote

Wogger refers to "Sally Hansens" in his 01/09/09 input. Is this the hard as nails from Sally Hansens ?

Thanks for your help
wogger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, SH hard as nails

Nothing Makes a Fish Bigger Than Almost Being Caught!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fly Tying All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: