Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fly-Tying Material Sources

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fly2Fish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Fly-Tying Material Sources Reply with quote

After paying $5 a fly last time up there at Float 'n Fish, decided it might be time to get back into fly-tying after many years' absence. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good value "materials" kit well-suited to the SJ to get me started (I already have the tools)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
mcgurtis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: material Reply with quote

I don't have connections for specific dealers, so I usually make a list of the materials I will need to tie the flies I want and either order from Cabela's or take my list next time I go to Albuqurque Sportmans Warehouse, if you happen to be on the river Float and Fish has a good selection. I don't like ordering Hackle because I like to inspect for size when I'm tying my dries. I bought a "material kit" when I started tying and still have most of it (because I don't need most of it). Google search Fly Tying Material and you will find lots of online sources.

I'm probably not much help.

Curtis
Fly2Fish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Fly-Tying Material Source Reply with quote

Actually, Curtis, you were a lot of help. Coincidentally, I had been at a Cabela's yesterday coming back from a weekend on the Guadalupe where I bought a small traveling-type fly-tying tools kit that was on sale. They also had a "starter box" of fly-tying materials, but like you, I recall when first getting into tying many years ago that most of the materials I got in my "starter box" I never needed. I'm thinking that when I know what I'm going to tie, I'll buy the materials then. Since the fly-fishing I'm doing now is pretty much limited to tailwater - SJ & Guad - I guess a good starting point would be to pick up a book or DVD on tying flies for those tailwaters and use their directions for picking up the materials I need.

BTW, I didn't mean to put down Float 'n Fish in my previous post. They're one of the best flyshops I've seen, and certainly for the SJ. However, I wasn't paying attention when I was buying a few flies up there last month until I had paid for them and realized from the receipt that most of them - the normal nymphs, midges, etc. - cost me $4.95 each. That's way more than I recall ever paying anywhere before, and was what got me thinking that it probably made sense to tie my own simple nymphs for that kind of money.

Neil
Warren

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy flies occasionally at Float and Fish. As I recall, I never paid more that $1.80 each for midge patterns. May be that the clerk made a misstake? If you have your receipt chck it. They have a locally made DVD for sale describing how to tie over 40 flies for the San Juan Tailwater. I agree with the previous posts that it is best to buy the materials needed to tie specific patterns that way you don't pay for a bunch of stuff you will never use.
Fly2Fish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren, I had thought it was a mistaken overcharge also (after the fact), but the receipt clearly showed "$4.95 per fly" on the item line, with the total summarizing that. That told me that it probably wasn't a mistake, since it appeared on the receipt to be a "programmed" amount for the flies. I'll certainly check the price next time before I commit to buying flies.

Thanks for the info about the DVD on fly-tying specific to the SJ. I'm also wondering if Mike Mora's website display of these flies and how to tie them might not suffice?
Warren

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture and materials list can help depending on one's tying experience. The DVD instructs how to tie each pattern step by step. I find that the DVD helped me tie better flies.

If you kept the receipt, take it back and ask for an explanation of the charges next time you are there.
mcgurtis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: fly recipes Reply with quote

I bought a book called the fly tiers bible at a book store. It has tons of recipes in it as well as instruction on technique, it has been very helpful. I also look at this site from time to time. www.copperfly.net.

Sorry flies are getting expensive. Everybody have to pay the bills. Even the fly shop owner.

Curtis
twmack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil,
There are a lot of places to order materials from. The best ones I used in the past are K&K Flyfishers, The Fly Shop, and Angler's Workshop. Now that I am working in a fly shop I can get materials directly from the source. If you need anything special for the San Juan, I can get it for you. Just send me a PM since I don't want to advertise on this site because that is not the purpose, I just want to help you out. I know how difficult it can be to get the small stuff we use on the San Juan if you don't live close by.

Tim
Tak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen many fly tying kits that are worthwhile for tying a large variety of flies let alone midge sized pattern. Having said that, I do like Dyna Kings Fly tying kit, excellent entry level vise, great tools, a few good materials to get started and a fly tying book.

I would however investigate what materials are going to be needed to tie the patterns you want. here are some resources that you might want to look at. These sites have some great patterns with recipes and instructions,
ww.ifly4trout.com
www.flytying clips.com,
www.danica.com/flytier,
www.charliesflyboxinc.com
www.flyfisherman.com archive of patterns

I would also look up catalogs from the various suppliers like Hareline, Wapsi, Spirit River, Rainy's, Rumpf and Son, Montana fly company and Umpqua to see what materials they carry so you'll have a good handle on what to look for in the shops.

I'd read Han Weilenman's and Bruce Salzberg article on vises on Fly fisherman Magazines web site.

The guys on this site are also tremdous source for patterns and recipes.
I'd also suggest that you take a fly tying class at your favorite local shop, get used to the materials and equiment before buying.
Hope this helps,
Tak
Midgeaholic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with TAK, DYNAKING is an outstanding choice in tying kits. You may want to step into Your local fly-shop and ask lots of questions I am sure they will be eager to help. I have found that the majority of my tying are San Juan flies so I have streamlined most of my tying to midges and bwo's (baetis) in sizes 18-24. Most of the midge body thread I use is UTC in size 70 - 280(colors to match the naturals). This works for surface and wet. Tightlines midgeaholic
Fly2Fish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tak,

Thanks very much for your helpful advice. Those are some really impressive websites. I was particularly impressed with charliesflyboxinc.com; it provides better pictures and more pattern-tying information than a lot of books & DVDs I've seen.

As it happens, a fly-fishing club in the Houston area which I belong to is having a beginners' fly-tying course (20+ weekly sessions, I think) that starts next month. There is a cost of $100 for a "materials kit" for the course, but they do provide a loaner tool kit, so I thought I'd hold off buying much of anything until I was well into the course. Having said that, while I was looking for the Dyna King Fly Tying Kit locally (which I was unable to find), I did run across a Danvise which came highly recommended in that FlyFisherman vise review you recommended. Since I had a soon-to-expire $25 coupon for that store, I was able to buy it for $60, which didn't seem too bad for a true rotary.

Cheers,
Fly2Fish
Fly2Fish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midgeaholic, thanks for the advice on materials you use for San Juan midges. Like you, I intend to concentrate on San Juan-specific flies, since tailwaters like it and the Guadalupe are mainly where I spend my too-infrequent fly-fishing time. I'm hoping that the Danvise (see previous post) with its jaw more pointed than most will handle those small 22-24 midge hooks okay (instructional video claims it will handle up to size 32).

Cheers,
Fly2Fish
edwinthomas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best place to look for a beginners fly fishing combo is in the local sporting goods stores. There are many websites available which give in-depth knowledge about fly-tying.
Poondogger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Cheap materials Reply with quote

I used to buy my materials exclusively at a fly shop but found Hobby Lobby had much of the same materials, beads, thread, scissors at much cheaper prices. I got a pair of nano tip razor scissors for $7. Nice pink handles too Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fly Tying All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: