Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baetis patterns working very well.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midgeaholic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Baetis patterns working very well. Reply with quote

I have been tying my baetis pattern's on 26-22 size hooks. Instead of a dubbed body I have been using UTC thread in olive 140, with a utc 70 brown ribbing and medallion sheeting winds which serves as a post for medium to dark dun hackle. I also make sure I fork that tail because I am catching a greater percentage of fish ( 3 to 1 ) on the forked tails. I am having a blast on this pattern variation especially now when the baetis hatches are hot. A little gherkes floats them all day. midgeaholic
Ken Roberts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: baetis pattern Reply with quote

Hi Midgeaholic,
I am not familiar with the material you call "medallion sheeting".
Could you clarify, and how do you tie it in to serve as a post?
Thanks, Ken.
Midgeaholic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: medallion sheeting Reply with quote

Hi Ken, medallion sheeting is used for wing material by Shane Stalcup in his patterns. It's like a colored cellophane. It comes in various colors. Cut into very thin strips then tie it as you would any other wing material. use the wings as a post by wrapping the 10/0 thread (olive) around the base of the wing material. The 10/0 thread I use to tie the fly(less bulk)UTC is common at fly shops in many colors sixes 70 (thin) to 240 (thick). UTC is For the body. midgeaholic
Ken Roberts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: baetis pattern Reply with quote

Thanks Midgeaholic.
Sorry more questions:
I am assuming that it is tied parachute style?
Are you successful with this pattern all over the river or at particular places? (I am fortunate to be able to go back in late November for three more days.)
Ken.
Midgeaholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Baetis Reply with quote

Hi Ken, Yes you will find that the most successful baetis patterns are parachutes in my experience. If I can post a pics I will. Also, medallion is fairly common in most fly shops if not, look it up on the inter-net. Get a dun color blueish gray if possible. Midgeaholic
imikanwar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a Renzetti and a Danvise, and like them equally, but the Danvise is about a $100 cheaper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fly Tying All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: