Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer Swap - Match the Hatch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NMAngler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Summer Swap - Match the Hatch Reply with quote

Let's get it on! The theme for this one will be "match the hatch." Get out the magnifiers, because this swap is size 22 and smaller. We are looking for emergers and dries.

The swap is open to the first 18 tiers, not including myself. One fly per person this time around, so we'll all be tying 18 flies, one for each other tier in the swap. No need to worry about tags, I've got those taken care of. Sending a return envelope with postage is appreciated.

I'll take the photos (need the practice) and ifly has agreed to allow us to post them on the site. I'll also send full size hi-res photos to any tier who wants them.

**UPDATE 7/14/08**
The deadline to enter has been extended to allow for more tiers. Due date will still be July 31.

Tiers:
NMAngler - #24 CDC Black Beauty Midge
1. riorancher - #24 Rusty Zebra Emerger
3. wrxeac - Brownie
4. 4cornersfishing - fly TBD
5. anyriveranytime - fly TBD
6. twmack - #26 Hi-Vis Parachute Midge
7. RipLip - #22 Tungsten Micro Chironomid
8. ryno - Flash Baetis Emerger

Last edited by NMAngler on Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:54 pm; edited 10 times in total
riorancher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Summer Swap Reply with quote

Good deal, count me in. I'll decide on a pattern and let you know later. riorancher
DUBBN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer Swap - Match the Hatch Reply with quote

Count me in. I will tie a Foam wing baetis emerger that usually does well for me when I fish the SJ, and most rivers here in Western Colrado
wrxeac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like in! This will be my first fly swap and I'm very excited! I am sending 4 days on the river in two weeks and i would like to tie a fly that worked the best from the up in coming trip if that is ok? If not I have a cool lilttle bown dropper that works well for me!
4corners fishing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

count me in fly to be decided,,,
AnyRiverAnyTime

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im in,
Doing a little tour these next few weeks CO,WY,NM so fly is still up in the air depending on the fish response to a few patterns.
twmack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed doing the last fly swap. It was great! Count me in for this one. I have not decided on a pattern yet but I will see what has been taken and make my decision tomorrow. Thanks for putting these fly swaps together, I know it must take a lot of time and effort and I appreciate it.
RipLip

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Summer Swap Reply with quote

Tungsten Micro Chironomid

I will mail my flies and self addressed stamped envelope tomorrow.

You can use your choice of hook and color of tubing/ wire combo to represent a huge range of bugs.

Hook: Tiemco 2488 Size 22
Thread: Dk. Brown 8/0
Bead: 1/16 Dia. Tungsten bead
Body: Mahogany micro tubing
Head: Peacock herl
Wire: Ultra wire sm copper brown

I start right behind the bead to get the thread going on the hook just 5-8 wraps to keep the bulk down . I twist wire into the micro tubing (this can suck sometimes). Tie in the tubing/wire in over your starting wraps trim forward tag. Wrap just the tubing/wire combo over the bare hook down the shank to just above the bend then back over itself (start with one easy pressure wrap to prevent pulling the tubing off your hook. If you need to you can throw a one or two wrap whip so you can move your bobbin out of the way). Stop about one turn short of your bead tie off and trim. In the space between the body and bead tie in peacock herl all you need is two or three wraps to create the head then whip it and fish it.
twmack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have decided on my Hi-Vis Parachute Midge. It works great on the San Juan and I also had great sucess with it on the Green River's A Section. It matches the spent adults on the surface. I have tied it will an orange, chartreuse, pink and yellow foam post. You can also use different color dubbing for the body like grey or olive but I have had the most sucess with black/orange combination.
Another varition is to split the tail or leave it whole.

Tim's Hi-vis Parachute Midge.
Hook: TMC 100 or Mustad 94840, #22-26
Thread: Gordon Griffith's Sheer Ultra Fine 14/0 Black
Tail: Mirco Fibetts black
Body: Super Fine Dub black
Post: Rainy's Foam Parachute post or similar (HareLine) 1/16"
Hackle: Whiting Dry Fly Hackle ( the neck has the smaller sizes you
will need) black

Thank you,
Tim
wrxeac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished the Juan Monday thru Thursday last week and what a fantastic trip!! My dad and I were catching 15 to 20 fish a day!!! The hot fly was a size 20 white and black UFO!! I was also catching big brown trout on this little fly I tied up for the swap I call it the "brownie"! The set up we use was the UFO on top followed by the "brownie" as a trailer. Its a big challange landing a big brown on this tiny fly!! Lots of fun though!!

Hook - Mustad C49S size 22 1x short
Thread - 8/0 rust brown
Bead - small brown matallic
Rib - small red wire
Body - fine rust brown dubbing
woolybugger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will provide #24 Griffith's Gnat

woolybugger
RipLip

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished the juan Wed. I used the fly I have submitted. They were on it! We pulled about 34 to the net in 3 hours! See the full report at www.flycurrents.com.
Ryno

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in! Not sure what fly I will choose, but it will be a baetis emerger pattern.
DUBBN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Summer Swap - Match the Hatch Reply with quote

Just 7 tiers for this swap? Time to send in my flys?
twmack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it says the deadline for the swap is July 31. I guess that means we have to have the flies there by then. I would not worry about it too much, it is summertime and most people are on the water or vacationing. They just have not seen the swap yet. You can tell by the reports on this message board, they are coming in days later. I am willing to say that there will be a lot of last minute entries.

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fly Tying All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: