Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

South Fork Worm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pagosa Dave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: South Fork Worm Reply with quote

In the February issue of Fly Fisherman (page 26) Peter Moyer talks about a variation of the San Juan worm called the South Fork worm which has a bead tied in the middle. Anyone know the recipe for tying this? Question I have a hard time visualizing how to put the bead in the middle Very Happy
DryFly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Same to you!!! I once tied a worm like that (before I became "DryFly" :-).

Here's how I did it:

Take a barbless size 16 hook.

Next, take some ultrachenille in your color of choice and cut it to your desired length.

Take a needle threader and push it through your bead, in my case I preferred the 1/8" size, then pass the chenille through the threader and pull it through the center of the bead. Sometimes you have to pull just the very end of the chenille through as it can get bulky and hard to get through, but it will work.

Then take your hook and squeeze it through the small opening in the bead, carefully until you're through and bring it on around.

Next, you can play with the location of bead and chenille until you have it where you want it.....then just take a few wraps and tie off either side of the bead which holds it in place. I always liked to put a wrap right at the bend and at the eye too. All these can be very small, taking maybe only 4 turns and then pulling the thread through with your whip finisher.

Try this and let me know how it works for you. Found it to be more effective when the water was a bit off-color, which makes sense because the bead flashing likely attracted the fish.

DryFly (a little outta character :-)
Pagosa Dave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: South Fork Worm Reply with quote

Thanks "Dry Fly"! It worked great! One more thing to add to my collection until the weather breaks around here!
DryFly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave,

One more thing: the needle threader tends to break when you use it for heavier jobs like this over time. I'm an old guitar picker, and have used an "E" string cut to the desired length and folded and crimped to give you that same configuration as the needle threader. Lasts a lot longer and is stronger......

DryFly
Drifter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Easier Worm Reply with quote

Hi Guys, there is a much easier way to do this. Its Pete's Half and Half, its a two part worm and my royalty is only $1000 per tie. I do not fish SJ Worms anymore but I have tied a jillion of them using every concievable material.

Hook: I never tie a worm on larger than 18 (lots of 20's).
Place a bead on the hook FIRST. I use ultra-fine thread (Charlie Craven turned me on to GSP-40 and that is about all I use on my SJ Micro-itty-bitties). Secure the thread anterior to the bead (place it where you want to) with the fewest wraps you can get away with. Next secure the REAR aspect of the front half of the worm using micro-chenille. Lift the material and wrap the thread forward on the hook, bring the material down onto the hook and tie off the front half. Go to the rear of the bead, secure the thread, shoving the bead as far forward as possible and tie in the FRONT of the rear portion of chennile. Lift it off the hook, wrap backwards, secure the chenille and tie off. Trim to length and scorch the tips. Use two different colors of chenille so that you can brag and still keep the magic combination a secret.

Talk to "Pops" at Let It Fly; he ties the most innovative SJ Worm I have seen in a long time. He calls it the Hairball and it is coolamundo. Pete
DurangoSteve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Pops' Hairball worm Reply with quote

I agree. It's pretty slick... and the fish seem to like it just fine!
Tak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PD,
Here are a couple of suggestions for tying the SJW to add to your collection.

Variation 1
Hook: TMC 2487, 3761,3769
Thread: 6/0 Danville Pink
Anterior Portion: Flesh colored Ultra Chenille or Vernille
Clitellum: Tying thread
Posterior: Earth worm brown Ultra Chenille or Vernille
Tying sequence:
-Attach tying thread 1/3rd the distance back from eye of the hook.
-Tie in the butt end of flesh colored Ultra Chinelle, the chenille should extends over the eye of the hook. Tie off the chenille and trim any of the excess material that might extend back of the original tie in point.
-Tie in the butt end of the Eathworm brown Ultra Chenille next to the but end of the Flesh colored chenille. The chenille should extend to the rear of the hook.
-Trim both ends of the chenille to the desired length.
-Wrap the tying thread over both butt ends of the chenille to secure and to form the Clitellum. Whip finish and trim thread.
-Apply heat to the end of the chinelle to taper ends.
-Apply thin head cement to the Clitellum.

Variation 2
Hook: TMC 2487, 3761,3769
Thread: 6/0 Uni Brown
Anterior/posterior Portion: Flesth colored Ultra Chenille or Vernille
Clitellum: Med to large Orange glass bead
Posterior: Earth worm brown Ultra Chenille or Vernille
Tying sequence:
-Attach tying thread 1/3rd the distance back from eye of the hook.
-Attach a three inch piece of 5X tippet material facing to rear of the hook.
-Slide the glass bead onto the tippet material and fold the remaining tippet to form a loop. Tie off the end of the tippet and trim excess material. The bead will represent the Clitellum.
-Take the desired length of Ultra Chenille and pass one end through the hole of the bead allowing 2/3rds of the ultra chenille to pass through the bead to the desired length of the posterior piece.
-Secure the chennile and continue to pattern as you would for a SJW. I generally take 6-10 wraps of thread to secure the ultra chenille then lift the chenille up while wrapping the thread to the eye of the hook. I then tiee off the chenille, whip finish and trim.

I hope this makes sense,
Tak
Howard Tessler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: South Fork Worm Reply with quote

Pagosa Dave wrote:
In the February issue of Fly Fisherman (page 26) Peter Moyer talks about a variation of the San Juan worm called the South Fork worm which has a bead tied in the middle. Anyone know the recipe for tying this? Question I have a hard time visualizing how to put the bead in the middle Very Happy

I used this very same pattern up in Montana last summer. Our guide supplied it to us with great success. Bead was attached first then yarn wrapped on next over bead. Many nice browns caught.
rocky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DryFly wrote:
Hey Dave,

One more thing: the needle threader tends to break when you use it for heavier jobs like this over time. I'm an old guitar picker, and have used an "E" string cut to the desired length and folded and crimped to give you that same configuration as the needle threader. Lasts a lot longer and is stronger......

DryFly

Not to mention, a whole lot cheaper if you use old strings...

They work great for clearing cement from the eyes of hooks, too!
chewydog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This new fly tying section of the forum is gonna be great.
WhtMtn_FlyFisherman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but where are the pics???? Here's a great dry for AZ streams:

It's better to BEG for forgiveness than ASK for permission - old Papermill Axiom
DryFly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Nice Image, How'dja get that on there? Reply with quote

Hey WMFF, great idea and great picture. Will you please advise exactly how you were able to include this image in your message? I read the FAQ but don't believe I understand all that. Is there an easy way? Thanks, DryFly.
barelfly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: photo in message Reply with quote

you have to have the picture on a web host somewhere, either myfishingpictures.com or some host like that. most are free. once you have this done, then you put the specific image link into the message and it shows up like the above post.

Jeremy
riorancher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: San Juan Worm Reply with quote

Check out the March issue of "Fly Rod & Reel", there is an article on the San Juan worm conplete with recipe, tying instructions and pictures. This is their fly tying special edition and worth looking at.
Best regards, riorancher
aaagul45

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lift the material and wrap the thread forward on the hook, bring the material down onto the hook and tie off the front half. Go to the rear of the bead, secure the thread, shoving the bead as far forward as possible and tie in the FRONT of the rear portion of chennile. Lift it off the hook, wrap backwards, secure the chenille and tie off. Trim to length and scorch the tips. Use two different colors of chenille so that you can brag and still keep the magic combination a secret. ???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fly Tying All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: