Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tying in tails

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark johnson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: tying in tails Reply with quote

I am having trouble tying in tails; they tend to wrap and roll around the hook. Any suggestions as to how to lock them in? Thanks for any advise.
Vinny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Tying in Tails Reply with quote

Mark,

I use the "Pinch" method for attaching materials to a hook - escpecially tails. Take a look at the following:

[url]http://www.markov.baikal.ru/keep/8m/pinch.html[/url]

[url]http://hipwader.com/2005/online-fly-tying-course-part-three[/url]

Vinny
mark johnson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinney,
Thanks for the advice; I'll look it up.
Tak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
Here's a suggestion that might help with tying in tails.

Bunched tail fibers
Such as hackle, mink guard hair, moose body hair, antron yarn, or elk hock. I wrap my tying thread to the bend of the hook opposite the barb. I tie in the tailing material on the near side of the hook with one turn loose wrap. On the second wrap, will apply pressure on the thread as I wrap the thread around the hook. This will often rotate the tailing material to the top of the hook shank. If not, I'll position the tail on the top of the hook shank by rotatingh with my fingers.

Split tail;
Using microfibetts, tapered paintbrush fibers. I will retain the tag end of my thread as I wrap the thread back to the bend of the hook opposite the barb. I make sure that the tag in is centered on the top half of the hook at the butt end of the thread. I tie in the fibers with two loose wraps of thread. I'll grasp the butt ends of the tail material a pull the fibers towards the eye of the hook until the desired length has been attained, I tweak the fibers to facilitae in spliting the fibers apart then pass the tag end of the thread betwwen the split fiber and pull tight to force the fibers apart. I then wrap the thread over the tag end and fbers for the tail up to the rear end of the wing. I trim the excess tail material and the remaining tag end of the thread. Wrap the thread back to the bend of the hook at the split of the tail fibers. I sometime will add a figure eight wrap of the split fibers to insure that they remain split apart.

Hope this something you can use.
Tak
Devi123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunched tail fibers
Such as hackle, mink guard hair, moose body hair, antron yarn, or elk hock. I wrap my tying thread to the bend of the hook opposite the barb. I tie in the tailing material on the near side of the hook with one turn loose wrap. On the second wrap, will apply pressure on the thread as I wrap the thread around the hook. This will often rotate the tailing material to the top of the hook shank. If not, I'll position the tail on the top of the hook shank by rotatingh with my fingers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fly Tying All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: