Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Was Your Experience Fishing at 3,000cfs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> General Fishing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jude Duran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: How Was Your Experience Fishing at 3,000cfs? Reply with quote

I talked to quite a few anglers this weekend who said they had read the bulletin boards and various web sites on the internet and that helped them to make their decisions. If you went fishing this weekend, how was it? What did you think about the flow? How were the fish? Was it worth fishing, (like there is ever a time when it's not worth it to fish Smile )

It was crowded for a 3,000cfs winter weekend on the river, but everyone was polite, helped each other out, and it was great to see some younger anglers on the water.
SPIfly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jude,
I fished the river on Sunday 2/17. Overall I would call it a good experience. I landed 9 fish in just over 5 hours of fishing (from noon, til just after 5 pm). I thought the increase in flows was obviously noticeable, but not really a hindrance to my fishing at all. The only thing different I noticed were increased numbers of anglers from Kiddie Pool to the Upper Flats, probably due to the limited wading access in Texas Hole forcing some of the die hard T-Hole anglers to find new water to work.

8 out of the 9 fish i caught fought VERY well, and definitely used the current to their advantage. The biggest was a fat, healthy 17" bow. So no giants, but solid fish. And, 4 of the fish that I lost during the fight were some of the hardest fighting fish I've hooked in the Middle Braids and Upper Flats in 5 years fishing these sections of the river. I think this flow will be really beneficial to the fish, the bugs, and even anglers. It was definitely worth the time spent out there (better than going straight back to ABQ after visiting family in Farmington Fri. & Sat.).

Side note: I'm not sure if its due to scuds in the lake being washed out with the flow, but my best attractor pattern was a size 16 silver scud pattern I got at Charlie's here in ABQ. Overall, a scud and red larva/annelids were my top producers all day.
JDS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen guys doing well with #16 Mysis Shrimp when the flow goes up and I've never heard of them in Navaho. The scud samples I've collected are usually #20-#24. I think when the flow goes this high the fish are just more opportunistic.
Tak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jude,
Personally, I'm happy to see the higher flows for a sustained period of time. In the past I've found the fishing to be very good during times of higher flows. When the water raises to the levels above 2400 cfs, I practice a more conserted effort for safety while wading. I do admit that I'm not as adept at wading as I used to be thus raising my level of concern as to water depths, slippery bottoms and speed of current.

The information that Jude posted earlier with regards to wading safety should be listened to, I had to help a fellow fisherman in the Kiddie Pool once when he fell backwards and could not get up. The current was strong enough that he couldn't get a foot hold. I also advised him to get dry clothes on cause I was afraid of Hypothermia if he stayed in the river.

I generally find that you can use larger patterns size wise, I'd suggest putting on a attractor type pattern as the indicator fly and add more weight to get the flies to the fishes level.
Take care,
Tak
SPIfly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDS,

Yes, I'd agree that the fish do seem more opportunistic at this high flow. I'm not an avid stream sampler, but when I have sampled, I've never pulled a scud out of the water on the SJ. I took the advice of one of my good buddy's dad who uses them a lot in CO on tailwaters, and told me when he fished the SJ last spring at high flow, he nailed 'em on a silver scud pattern. And they sell scuds at all the local fly shops, so I figured they gotta produce at some point, or the shops wouldn't bother. So I thought why not? And it turned out to work very well. That's just one of the many joys of fly fishing; going to a place you think you've got pretty well figured out, and then learning something new or different that you hadn't thought of before!
Drifter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Silver scud Reply with quote

Hi, I too, have never noticed a lot scuds in the SJ. Can anyone tell me what a silver scud is and how to tie one? Thanks, Pete
Flymaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://ifly4trout.com/flypatterns/blue_bead_scud.htm

don't know if this is what you are looking for, but goodluck!
kanita

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished it on Sunday and it was fishing good, but the water is already very high at 3000cfs. The fly shop would not rent out waders for my son as it was too much of a liability. You could still get around in the braids, but it was much more difficult than the usual. At 4000cfs things will only get tougher and at 5000cfs I wouldn't be surprised if fishing is very limited.
jessi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: comments Reply with quote

It depends upon your CSS coding which actually runs back of the website, if you are not expert at any you can simply download file from any coding website and paste in your CSS file. If anyone needs student assignment help for free he/she can simply share questions to us, we have a team of different experts who are good at their segments. I hope you would consider my free invitation for your own purpose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> General Fishing Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: