Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

vibram vs Felt Soles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> General Fishing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BDunn

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: vibram vs Felt Soles Reply with quote

Hello all. I am in need of new wading boots. I've only owned Felt soles in the past. Any thoughts on Vibram soles with regards to their traction in a river? Is it safe to wade the SJ in Vibram soles without cleats?
Thanks
DryFly

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: vibram vs Felt Soles Reply with quote

[quote="BDunn"]Hello all. I am in need of new wading boots. I've only owned Felt soles in the past. Any thoughts on Vibram soles with regards to their traction in a river? Is it safe to wade the SJ in Vibram soles without cleats?
Thanks[/quote]

Hi BDunn, and those are good questions and will likely have some mixed "reviews" in terms of answers. I can only speak from my experience and would have to give felt the nod from a strictly functional perspective. I think it grabs far better on most stream bottoms than the Vibram sole, but this can be offset to some extent by using the cleats. Felt with cleats on the other hand.....by far the best, most secure-feeling traction I have found. I no longer use it because of the propensity to spread invasive species, finding the Vibram with cleats a decent trade-off and just using a little greater care in my wading practices.

As for cleats with the Vibrams, you can get these from Simms or other wading boot manufacturers. On the other hand, I have stopped paying the high $$$ for them this way and have just gone down to Lowes or Home Depot and bought some hexhead sheet metal screws in the same length and size and have been using these with about the same fail-rate/lifespan as the Simms I used previously. They're only pennies and you can always have a few in your vest to replace one if it comes out using your hemastats as a make-shift tool - works well. You will see the small holes in the Vibrams that accept the manufacturers cleats which you will use to screw in the sheet metal screws as well. Careful to get the right length so as not to go through the sole, damage the boot and your wader bootie as well.....this makes for a wet foot!

Hope that helps you out on that score.....Is it safe to wade the Juan in Vibram soles without cleats? Most places, probably so, but I prefer to use them to avoid the possibility of the day ending abruptly and sustaining some bruises if not worse! Your call, buddy, make a good one.....

Have a safe and wonderful time out there.

DryFly
atifali

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BDunn, and those are good questions and will likely have some mixed "reviews" in terms of answers. I can only speak from my experience and would have to give felt the nod from a strictly functional perspective. I think it grabs far better on most stream bottoms than the Vibram sole, but this can be offset to some extent by using the cleats. Felt with cleats on the other hand.....by far the best, most secure-feeling traction I have found. I no longer use it because of the propensity to spread invasive species, finding the Vibram with cleats a decent trade-off and just using a little greater care in my wading practices.

Biosgues

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to understand And it's useful, I have friends.

ibcbet mobile
rafeer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: comments Reply with quote

Its simply wow for me to write down my comments you have shared fishing stuff with lots of different patterns, forum looks pretty amazing to me. If you are looking for cheap essay writing service australia they can follow my link as i have been also searching same content to promote my website. My content is no doubt improving day by day but i need more traffic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> General Fishing Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: