Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fall on the San Juan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Sky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Fall on the San Juan Reply with quote

Blue Sky Flyfishing
San Juan River Fishing Report
Hello everyone, 09/30/2015
One rivers misfortune another one’s benefit.
The phone was busy with clients wanting to know if the mine tailings spill on the Animas had affected the San Juan, the answer is no. The Animas River joins with the San Juan in Farmington, NM. The trout waters are 30 miles upstream. The truth is that the increase in the flow to help dilute the toxins from the spill helped break loose and get the silted-in areas broke up and the silt moving. I saw more fish in the stretch between Durangler’s corner and the quality water sign, yesterday then what I’ seen since last years storm that wiped out the river between the Crusher Hole, and Simon Canyon, With a recent 30” Brown Trout being caught recently the San Juan and at least another 3-4 30” fish being caught recently the San Juan is fishing Great.

The river is flowing around 520 cfs as of today. The water is being released form the hydro plant gates south side, or river left. This means the main current flow is now on the south side so the feeding lanes and holding areas have changed. Remember that the fish need a certain amount of depth, current and food available to be good holding water. With that in mind and watching the water for activity, bugs coming off, moving active feeding, flashing fish. Heads rising or sipping. If any of the above is apparent, life is good today. It should be fairly easy to get an idea of what is happening, and get a bent rod and tight line. Every angler’s euphoria. It’s when there is nothing happening that you have to think different. How cold is the water, to ambient temps, are the fish going to be lethargic, or on the crunch. I think the main thing is being able, and willing to adjust to the bite. Fly fishing requires input, skill, and all that we learn through our angling experiences to make that line come tight. This is what makes us crave the sport. I’ll be the first to say that I learn everyday on the water.
The upper areas have good fishing early am with #22-24 red hot’s, yellow or orange eggs, natural bunny leeches. When the midges are coming off #22- black Krystal flash midges, #22-24 black or iron gray midge pupas. #24 black and silver scintilla bubble midges.
Texas Hole to Death Row has been good – great. #16-20 orange egg to a red, or orange larva in the early am switching over to #18-20 Mark’s Magic Midge, or black and gray big mac midmorning. From the lower flats down to top of frustration has been good to great with a big red, or orange #16-18 larva trailed by a #20-22 gray or chocolate foam wing, RS2 or Johnny flash has been getting the crunch when the beatis (mayflies) are hatching. Streamer fishing has been fun with cone head olive or black woolly buggers or other marabou streamer patterns.

I hope this helps get the line tight, bent rod, and a Smile.
Blue Sky Flyfishing’s 15th anniversary
Half day Float or Wade trip for one person $250.00+NM tax
Full Day Float or Wade trip for two people $300.00+NM tax
Mark Nesbit
Blue Sky Flyfishing
Blue Sky Flyfishing
Treesony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I need most is learning about this content.
Muzzachi

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it really useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: