Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drop Shot System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> General Fishing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Drop Shot System Reply with quote

Has anyone tried Kelly Galloup's Drop Shot and Sliding Dropper Loop System on the San Juan?

http://slideinn.com/blog/2014/02/drop-shot-system-sliding-dropper-loop/

There is also a video on it on YouTube (do a google search for "Kelly Galloup Drop Shot").

Thanks

Vinny
herefishy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing this up, Vinny, I think it's something that I will jump into with both feet - have long considered some aspects of it, but not together, and never got around to it. It's a "fersure" for next season. I guess that you alter the length from the bottom nymph to the weight to adjust for higher in the water column? That's my only problem, as on the San Juan we are(or should be) altering the depth of our rigs a lot.
Vinny

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Drop Shot System Reply with quote

herefishy,

The same for me - I'll be spending a lot more time investigating the Drop Shot method.

Below is some more information from another San Juan forum about a rig very similar. I've used this rig and have done very well, but the droppers were not easy to change. I believe a combination between these two rigs (use of sliding droppers) will be more affective and be easier to change flys.

Thanks

Vinny

When double nymph fishing I always like to have my indicator
then a small 3" tag to the first fly and
then about 10" below that another 3" tag and
then 5" below that enough shot to get it down..

|
|
|
* indicator
|
|
|
|
|
|_______ fly
|
|
|
|
|_______fly
|
|
|
|
O couple shot.

Very effective, you lose more shot that flies and I caught more fish once I switched to this method as I could control the depth of my offerings more precisely.

Can't remember what the dropper knot is called. Basically you are making a surf leader and you cut the loops to give you a 4-5" tag to attach your flies.
herefishy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've heard much about the virtues of having your weight on the bottom and more about having your nymphs swinging around, now combining them should be deadly
Sakurakiza

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like anything really. I want to do the same this time.

วิเคราะห์บอล

Last edited by Sakurakiza on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
PrettyFair

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting ready for my annual trip to the "Juan" in Sept. I too, was looking at this type of shot low arrangement. I was going to try a different wrinkle by using micro beads to help attach the tag lines to the leader. Using two plastic micro beads attached at any desired depth and using the same knot one uses to attach the fluff type indicators to the line. Then attach any length of tippet for each fly to the beads. This way you can easily move the beads up or down depending on your needs just as you would do for your indicator.
Vinny

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Drop Shot System Reply with quote

PrettyFair,

Are you talking about the Gamakatsu dropper beads?

http://www.downeyflyfishers.org/files/pdfs/Gamakatsu%20Dropper%20Bead.pdf

Thanks

Vinny
PrettyFair

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinny,

The beads I am using are just like the ones used for making "Bead Head" nymphs. But clear and very tiny.

Prettyfair
PrettyFair

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On further reflection, the beads may need to be secured to the leader with different knots for the bigger fish found on the San Juan. The knots I used may slip with stronger fish.

Prettyfair
DblHaul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Galloup's Drop Shot Rig Reply with quote

Vinny, have not tried Galloup's Drop Shot Rig on the Juan, haven't been there YET, but I did try the rig while fishing the Lower Provo River last weekend. It worked GREAT! Initially, I had too much tag on the dropper, about 8" - 10" and the dropper kept getting tangled with the leader. After shortening the dropper tag to about 4" it was FISH-ON and no further tangle issues.
Vinny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Galloup's Drop Shot Rig Reply with quote

DblHaul,

Was your rig the same as what was described on Galloup's wed site (i.e. 4X, 5X, etc.)?

I'm sure the droppers will need to be around 6X for the San Juan. I was wondering if a 6X dropper should be smaller than 4". I guess I'll have to go experiment - Darn!

I'll be up on the San Juan this Thurs. and Fri.

Thanks

Vinny
DblHaul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Galloup's Drop Shot Rig Reply with quote

Vinny wrote:
DblHaul,

Was your rig the same as what was described on Galloup's wed site (i.e. 4X, 5X, etc.)?

I'm sure the droppers will need to be around 6X for the San Juan. I was wondering if a 6X dropper should be smaller than 4". I guess I'll have to go experiment - Darn!

I'll be up on the San Juan this Thurs. and Fri.

Thanks

Vinny

The rig I tied up was slighltly different. The demensions (lengthwise) of the sections were roughlhy the same, but I used 1X/12lb Umpqua leader material for the BUTT section, the second section to the dropper I used Umpqua 4X leader material with 5X for the dropper tag, and then 5X Umpqua leader material to the bottom fly which I attached with a Palomar knot, leaving a long enough tag end for attaching the split shot. For the JUAN, I would step each section and the dropper tag down by 1X, due to the clear water and reading that the fish are fairly line shy.

Like I said in my earlier post, once I shortened the dropper tag, this rig worked really well for me. I'm looking forward to getting back on the water and experimenting more with this.
Falllancsgo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to give it something very new.

maxbet
neilhazel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinny, have not tried Galloup's Fall Taken Rig on the Juan, have not been there YET, but I did try the rig while sportfishing the Reduced Provo Stream last week. It worked well GREAT! Originally, I had too much tag on the dropper, about 8" - 10" and the dropper kept getting twisted with the innovator. After reducing the dropper tag to about 4" it was FISH-ON and no further tangle problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> General Fishing Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: