Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very effctive tiny midges.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midgeaholic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Very effctive tiny midges. Reply with quote

I have been tying tiny midges and have trie tons of different patterns and materials. Since I am into stalking very large fish quietly sipping Midges on the surface, I have given the tying of very small midges a great deal of attention. My sizes are 24-30, My colors are Black, light olive, Tan, Gray. My thread is UTC#70 In the appropriate colors. I use ultra hair for ribbing And The tinyest hackle on my necks. I have paid very close attention to my natural specimens so, I fashion the bodies as close to the natural as possible the wing material is from Translucent garbage bags cut into very thin strips(pay attention to the width and length of the natural). I tie the body as I would a UFO(young special) windig forward to the eye anchoring the ribbing then wind back towards the bend of the hook. I then spin the thread until round and wind forward seperating the segments ever so slightly, tie off at the front. Wind the ribbing forward between the segments. Tie the wings on top with the wing material pointing straight back then trim. Attach the hackle as you would a traditional dry fly( two turns is all you need ) Trim the top hairs off the midge and finish. I have used this pattern the last 8 years and the effectiveness is stunning. I often will use two midges 8" from each other one off 6x and the second off 7x trailer. Watch for that double hook up! It's a little meticulus but, worth the effort. Midgeaholic Wink
mikeytwoshoes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the detailed description of your fly and technique.
I'll tie some up and give them a try in a couple weeks.

mgj
herefishy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question about your flies - you said translucent garbage bags for the wings - do you mean like sandwich bag material? The garbage bags I have seen are white or black.
Thanks
Fly2Fish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midgeaholic,

Are those two dry floater midges you're putting on your dropper rig?
ashleygull

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: fdgds Reply with quote

the width and length of the natural). I tie the body as I would a UFO(young special) windig forward to the eye anchoring the ribbing then wind back towards the bend of the hook. I then spin the thread until round and wind forward seperating the segments ever so slightly, tie off at the front. Wind the ribbing forward between the segments. Tie the wings on top with the wing material pointing straight back then trim. Attach the hackle as you would a traditional dry fly( two turns is all you need ) Trim the top hairs off the midge and finish.

Cut down your exam stress by using our latest ccna service provider and high quality 70-463 gmat and 350-080 We provide updated www.sterling.edu with 100% pass guarantee along with Thomas Aquinas College

Last edited by ashleygull on Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:40 am; edited 3 times in total
herefishy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what these spammers are doing now, cut and pasting old posts and treating them as their own. I guess nothing we can do except know what's going on - beware of new posters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fly Tying All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: