Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Summer Brown" thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrettyFair

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: "Summer Brown" thread Reply with quote

I'm from Minnesota and get to fish the San Juan once a year. Again, this year I am trying to tie some nymphs to use in the quality waters. A recipe for nymphs made by Andy Kim calls for "Summer Brown" Coats and Clark thread. I have found two, one cotton the other polyester. They have the same name and the same color code number. They do not look the same. Can anyone tell me which to use. The cotton or the polyester? Thanks for your help.
Warren

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used C&C Dual Duty Plus mercerized cotton covered polyester. Hope this helps.
PrettyFair

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two types of thread that I have are mercerized cotton or polyester covered polyester. The polyester is a dual duty xp and the cotton is "coats cotton". Which to use?
Vinny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: "Summer Brown" thread Reply with quote

PrettyFair,

I recommend the C&C All Purpose Dual Duty Plus, 37% Cotton and 63% Polyester. I've found the "cotton" is too thick.

Note: Summer Brown was labeled as 54A, but is now labeled as 8360
http://www.coatsandclark.com/NR/rdonlyres/2F668C17-A800-4454-B6EC-9AA72AADC095/125075/colorconvchart1.pdf

You can also substitute the C&C with Rod Wrapping Thread Size A or UTC 210 Denier. The UTC looks a little bit better on size 26 hooks.

I recommend Brown, Olive, Grey and Tan.

Don't forget the Yong Blood's in Red and Tan.

I hope this helps.

Vinny
PrettyFair

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vinny,

Both of the threads that I have are color coded 8360. The thread that you recommend suggests that there is a third combo with that color number. Hope I can find it. As for the cotton, I too found it too thick. For size 24 and smaller, I split the double strands in two and used only one for a thinner thread. I am now on the lookout for the cotton/polyester blend. Thanks again.
hareem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a dead chicken? I can't find any pictures or recipies online. See it alot in the fishing reports, and seems to be a good dry fly. Is it a decent indicator fly for an emerger dropper?

Are you worried about 642-997exam prep and ccie sp certification practice ccna lab manual - Test-king Check out our latest resources for www.dean.edu dumps and University of Kansas questions for practice with Hood College guarantee of pmi training.

Last edited by hareem on Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Vinny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Dead Chicken Fly Pattern Reply with quote

harem,

The Dead Chicken is the same thing as a large Griffith’s Gnat (size 8 -12 dry fly hook, w/ peacock hurl body palmered with grizzly hackle - http://thesanjuanangler.com/Equipment/Fly%20Patterns/Midges/Dries/Dead%20chicken.html).

It represents a cluster of midges. To make it more visible, I include a post of white Para-Post - http://www.intheriffle.com/fishing-videos/fly-tying/griffith-gnat/

I hope this helps.

Vinny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fly Tying All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: