Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

San Juan River Fishing Report-February 16-17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tejano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: San Juan River Fishing Report-February 16-17 Reply with quote

Tried to post this earlier, but the interweb access at Abe's is horrible.

Again, as far as qualifications go, I don't really have any. I fish the San Juan twice a year, usually in February-March.

16th--Left Texas early and was on the water before 1300h. Fished Simon Point. Hooked 16, landed 9. 2 big ones (18+ inches) and the rest were little shavers. Caught most on a KF Midge (not even sure if that is supposed to work on that part of the river, but that is what I had tied on when I hit the water). About 3, I tied on a chocolate foam wing and continued to catch fish. The little ones were pretty much hitting mostly red stuff. At the end of the day, I removed all red stuff just to see if I could entice some bigger fish. Great day to be on the water. Probalby 5 other waders around and maybe 6 or so boats went by.

17th--Fished the upper flats in the AM. Only hooked 6 and landed 1, but they were all big fish. I was fishing a red larvae and tan UFO. I never hooked anything small. Wish I could have landed more of the big ones. Had problems with break-offs all morning. Folks around me were fishing orange eggs and red stuff. They were catching fish, just nothing big. Usually there is a hatch around 10:30 or so, but not that day.

Went back to Simon Point in the afternoon. Overall, it was slower. I hooked 9 and landed 6. There was one 16" according to my net and rest were smaller. I tried chocolate foam wing and the KF midge again but didn't catch a thing. I caught all fish on red stuff: larvae, annelids, red hot, etc. I didn't see many folks around me catch much other than small ones. Everybody was talking about using red stuff.

Was planning to fish Monday morning before heading back, but when I woke up it was very windy, so I hit the road.

Tejano
Rice Addict

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update!
deOmair

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WINTER IS HERE ANd am a fan of trout..

Last edited by deOmair on Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:22 am; edited 5 times in total
herefishy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear Simon Point is fishing well, was worried about all the silt after the big rains. Did you have any trouble wading around? There were some terrible wading conditions in October.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: