Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fisheads Fishing Report Feb. 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fisheadsofthesanjuan.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Fisheads Fishing Report Feb. 1 Reply with quote

Water flow: 458cfs

Visibility: 60 inches

Water temperature at mid-day: 41 Degrees F

Water condition: Moderately Turbid

Best time of day to fish: All day long, best dry fly fishing from 11:00 to 3:00

Best stretch: The whole quality water section is fishing well!

Best access point:

Fly fishing hatches in order of importance:

The midge hatch has been epic all day long. I am seeing large clusters from 10:00am till 4:00pm! The best fishing will be with midge pupa and larvae, size 22 and 24, clusters are working well. You can find fish eating midges of all colors, dark midges have been best, black, brown, dark gray and olive. Some fish have been eating cream as well. Try fishing BWO's from 11:00am to about 3:00pm. Dark brown and olive been the best colors in a size 22 and 24. Back to midges in the evenings. Black and brown have been killing it! Colored larvae will catch fish all day long, red, orange, white, black, pink, apricot...... Bunny leaches are great attractors! Brown, Black, purple, and white

"Must-have" fly fishing patterns in descending order of importance:
Fly Name: Fly Color: Fly Size(s):
Midge Selection Brown, black, dark g 22 to 26
Midge cream and gray 22 to 26
Rs2 All 22 and 24
Wd-40 Gray, olive, brown 20 to 22
Bh American Pheasant Tail brown 20 to 24
Cdc Mayfly Emerger gray, olive, brown flash! 22 and 24

Larvae Red and orange 16 to 20
Bunny leeches Brown, olive, black 6 and 8's
Egg patterns Peach and yellow 18 and 20
Disco midges red, orange, yellow 16 to 20
Orvis-Endorsed guides nearby:
Fisheads of the San Juan

Fish species: Rainbow and Brown trout

Fishing season: Year Round

Nearest airport: Albuquerque, NM (2.5 hr) or Durango, La Plata Airport, CO (40 min) or Farmington, NM (40 min)

Recommended fly fishing leader: 9 Foot Leader

Recommended fly fishing tippet: 4X Tippet Pound Test

Best fly fishing rod: 10' 5 Weight Fly Rod

Best floating fly line: Trout WF

Fishing 22 and 24 midges in the slower waters has been great. Sight fishing will be difficult as the water is greenish in color from lake turnover. Fish light weight ( a number 6 or smaller ) with your strike indicator 2 or 3 feet above the weight. You don't want to be on the bottom when you are midge fishing. The BWO hatch is going strong. Baetis live in fast water so look for them in the riffles at the top of holes and at the bottom of holes in the tail out. Fish are eating gray, olive and brown nymphs in these places, again it just depends on the day so have them all. You may have the chance to see fish on top during this time as well. A parachute Adams or comparadun should do the job. The may flies are green and are about size 22. Use dark colored wings as the fish are turning away from white wings. If you can't see this try a marker fly about 12 inches above the baetis. Change back to midges when the fish stop eating your may flies. It is time for color! Red, Orange, pink or apricot larvae will catch fish all day long. Egg patterns are working very well, have all colors on hand but cheese, peach and orange have been my best. Try some bunny leaches if all else fails!
7-Day Fly Fishing Forecast

Winter is here! Cool mornings with a high of 40 most afternoons. The trees have lost their leaves and both brown and rainbow trout are spawning. The fishing has been fantastic. Midges are clustering in the mornings and evenings and Blue winged olives are the fair in the afternoons. Some fish are looking up and the rest are eating very well subsurface. This week is looking like lots of cold and cloudy days which should keep the baetis hatching well. Dress warm! Good luck to all the Fisheads out there, Chris
AZBassTuber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report Chris, My son, my partner and I will be there on the 11th through the 14th and we can not wait.

Mark M.
Phoenix, AZ
john5566

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as durability is concerned, I have not noticed it falling apart with any more frequency than other midge patterns.

I would probably classify the Jujubee as one of those patterns that are good to have in your box, but probably not one I would select if I were fishing in the Bi-Fly tourney?????
nmcowboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTH?? this report is years old!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: