Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hook eye flat or turned down for midges

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenicianflyfisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Hook eye flat or turned down for midges Reply with quote

Hi Guys...

I am a new fly tyier and have started to buy supplies. I have noticed that the very small sized hooks for midge emergers come in two types of eyelets, either flat across or turned down. Is there a rule of thumb regarding midges from larva to emergers that one type of eye is used over another as you progress through the life cyle of the midge?

Also, how do you attach a clear bead on the top of a midge emerger?

Thanks...
twmack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eye really does not affect the patterns. The only thing that might help is the straight eye might help tiers that crowd the eye. The down turn eye will become blocked if thick thread or too much tread is tied next to it. You won't notice it until you try to thread your tippet through the eye and it won't go through. It is the angle of the down turned eye. The straight eye does not become blocked unless you tie thread directly on the eye.
The TMC 2487 stops at #24 but the straight eye version TMC 2488 goes down to #30.

The best way I found is to use mono 5x or 6x. Thread the bead on the mono and fold the mono. You wrap thread on the mono next to the bead and it should hold but you can put a tiny drop of super glue too. Some guys use floss instead of mono but the mono does show up, it is clear and the floss really shows if the color does match.

Hope this helps.
Tim
JDS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that on a straight shank hook smaller than size #22 you get a better hook-up percentage with a straight eye hook. I doubt it makes much difference with a curved shank hook as the hook gap is much wider.

To attach a bead to the top of a hook I've just used a needle and thread. I've never had one break off, although I haven't fished that type of pattern in years.
Fly2Fish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Midge hooks: straight vs. down eye Reply with quote

I think the theory is that on the really small hooks, say certainly # 22+, the down eyes tend to reduce the hook gap to the point of making hook-ups harder. With that in mind, I would think up-eyes would be even better than straight eyes, but up-eyes may make for a less-natural drift.
herefishy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use fine wire to hold the bead on top of the hook. Once through the bead, around and once more through and then wrap over it with your thread.
herefishy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed a lot of patterns that used to be tied on straight shank hooks are now on scud hooks - bet it is because of the bigger gape.
emmasam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Macs like people come in many sizes and colors. Back in the day my hair was red, now it is gray. Different colors, same me. Smile

You can check out our PW0-105 braindumps - pass4sure.co.uk and wikipedia exams written by our certified teams to help you University of Oxford You can also purchase ISC Our selftestengine is simply excellent in ICDL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fly Tying All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: