Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nymphs on the surface.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrettyFair

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Nymphs on the surface. Reply with quote

The middle two weeks of September found me on the river and using a size 24 red foil nymph greased up and on the surface. Had great success but wondering if others have used "Nymphs on the Surface"?
herefishy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting concept - we're on the river now, so will try it. And what kind of foil do you use?
PrettyFair

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a previous post (fingernail polish) I wrote about the red foil that wraps a couple of pieces of my wife's anniversary candy. That's what I used. I cut a thin (less than an eighth inch) piece from an edge. I wrapped the hook with red thread to the bend, laid the foil on top from the eye to the bend and pressed it to roll around the hook. Wrap a few threads forward, pull off the tag end and whip finish at the eye. When tying the nymphs later in the trip, I added a small amount of white dubbing at the head. It seemed to help keep floatant on the hook. Good luck. The really nice thing about this, was when I was there, it got a lot of bigger fish, not just the smaller ones.
herefishy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went back and read your post on "smell" from 2009 - sure wish we could generate that level of participation again, guess it's just all been said one way or another, but will sure try your nymphs on the surface idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fly Tying All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: