Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

vises

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cutbow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: vises Reply with quote

i am trying to find a good vise, used. i have never tied flies before but i really want to learn. i just dont want to buy a good vise and not like it and be out lots of money. thanks for the help, first time post long time reader of posts.
mcgurtis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started tying I bought the little starter kit from Duranglers if I remember right. It did everything I needed it to do(like hold the hook in place) and came with scissors, bobbins etc. I have since upgraded to the vise I use now. It was'nt the rotating style like was on my wish list but it still works. I would recomend taking the class through the college that T.J. teaches,(he even lends you a vise). So in my feeble opinion you could hold the hook with a pair of needle nose vice grips if you had to, but if you enjoy tying you will want a better vise.

Curtis
twmack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: vises Reply with quote

I have tied on just about every vise out there and I have come to the conclusion that Renzetti is the best for me. They can be expensive ranging from $99 for the low end and $700 for the high end. The best value they have is the Travler's Cam Vise which is about $180. I still tie on mine. They have a good warranty and will last a lifetime. It holds a whole range of hooks but it works very well on the smaller hooks we use on the San Juan. If you want something to start out with, you can get a Griffin kit or an Angler's choice kit. I would recomend on buying a good part of scissors for fine materials and use the one that comes in the kit for wire and tougher materials. These kits have all the tools but no materials. I would stay away from kits that put materials in but the materials are not that great or have colors you will not use.
Tim
cutbow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you both for replying. the traveler vise was the one i have been looking at. i think i am getting one for xmas.
herefishy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a Renzetti and a Danvise, and like them equally, but the Danvise is about a $100 cheaper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fly Tying All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: