Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tiny Hackles and wings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midgeaholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Tiny Hackles and wings Reply with quote

Hi out there, I have had an great many questions about the type of hackle to use on midges sizes 22-28. In general if you buy a good quality whiting necks ( there are others), you should have what you need for that color of midge. I use black, gray or light dun and grizzlie. When you choose a neck it should have little or no webbing and the hackle fibers should look fresh, crisp and uniform at the smallest sizes. Also, look for the greatest amout of tiny hackles towards the base of the neck for your best value. If you look hard enough, you will find some hackles that will be in the size 30 range. I carefully pluck these and place them in a small zip lock with the labled size. I do not by mail order necks because, I do not like surprizes when you spend alot of money for a quality neck.
Wings, remember that midge wings lay flat across the body. To get to the correct silouette on the water you must trim them to the right size for that size hook. Midgeaholic. Wink
twmack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some great tips on picking up hackle for small flies. I like to look at the hackle before I buy it too. I think Whiting grows the best on the market. You should try Whiting Winger Capes for wings. I saw an article by A.K. Best and he was using these for the wings on his dry flies. I bought a dun colored cape and was able to find feathers small enough to tie wings on a #28 BWO.
Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fly Tying All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: