Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Floating the Lower SJ and Animas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> General Fishing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidrrt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Floating the Lower SJ and Animas Reply with quote

Hello!

Where do you put in to float the lower SJ? I have an OutCast pontoon and am interested in floating this section. How is the fishing in this section? and how far downstream does the river support trout?

I know, a lot of questions for a long-time lurker of the site, at least I have completed the hard part, admitting that I have been a lurker!!

Thanks in advance!

David

I was wondering about floating the Animas also, is it better in CO??
________
AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL FORUM

Last edited by davidrrt on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
NMAngler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

I've never floated the lower river. Hopefully someone who has can post some thoughts on it for you.
I have heard that it can be tough to navigate sometimes. I'm not sure if that means it is shallow, or branches off, or what it will be like. I think that much of it is through private land, and anchoring or getting out of the boat (or pontoon) is prohibited.
DurangoSteve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like NM Angler, I don't know the lower river. I generally float from T-Hole to the gravel pit, but once went as far as the first takeout past the bridge.

Regarding the Animas, it's totally doable from Santa Rita Park in town down thru the Ute section, especially for pontoons. Don't know about the lower river.
Warren

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the San Juan, there is a place to put in about 1/4 mile below the Aztec highway bridge. However, once you get past Gobernador Wash about 1/8 mile downstream from there, the river runs through private land. Some of the fly shops have made special arrangements with land owners for takeouts in the private section area. As far as I know there is no public take out. Therefore, once down river you are stuck and can't get out.

As far as the Animas goes it is floatable from Durango the the NM State line. However, the way I understand it, the Ute tribe requires a special permit to take out on their land. Don't know about the quality of the fishery below the CO/NM state line, but it is usually muddy and off color most of the year.

Good luck. Check with the fly shops for more information.
Warren

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an afterthought. In NM the landowner owns the bottom of the river too, unlike some states like Montana where you can have access up to the high watter mark. Therefore, if you are floating over private property you can't get out of the boat and stand in the river to fish or go up the bank and relieve yourself if neccessary. NM hunting and fishing regulations require that you have written permission from the landowner on your person in order to hunt or fish on private land and you can be cited if you don't have it. I would suppose that includes floating and fishing through private proberty.
davidrrt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that there was a "public" place to take out somewhere past the private property. This I gathered from using google and basic detective work - which now of course I am having a difficult time finding again.

I read somewhere that there was a woman that provided a shuttle at the end of the float.......
________
STARCRAFT 2 REPLAY

Last edited by davidrrt on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
fish4fun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: lower float Reply with quote

the last ten miles of the river are all on private land

your only limitation being no anchoring or stopping
i would not recommend floating this strech unless u do it with a friend who knows the way first. the take out is tough to find. if you stay left the whole way you will be fine but it is confusing at some areas.

the float from the gravel pit to rainbow lodge is an easy float with one split where you want to stay right. this time of year i would stay on the upper section for floating. althougth i have had some good brown days around cottonwood in december. It tends to have alot of smaller eager fish that do not stay on the hook (Back to the Barbless thing again) it has got to happen.

the last ten miles is a LONG float but can give up some good fish.
early caddis big ones

and some great hopper/ streamer fishing

I have never done it in winter but with the high flows it might be excellent i don't know
sanjuanworm would know
Warren

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidrrt: You are correct. There is a short strech of water on the south side of the river about two miles above Blanco, NM maintained by the NMDGF. It is difficult to find and last time I was there road access to the site was not marked. There is no boat ramp. The parking lot is a bit of a hike to the river. There are supposed to be trout there, but the last time I fished there several years ago when the river was clear, the only fish I saw were a few huge carp.
Even if you find this take-out site it is nearly ten miles from the put in below the Aztec bridge by Abe's and all of that float is over and through private land. In order to be legal, remember to get written permision from each landowner.

In my experience fishing the past 20+ years on the San Juan tail water below Navajo Dam, the river below Gobernador wash generally gets blown out by the first monsoon rain and can stay muddy all summer. There may be trout there, but the river is probably marginal at best from there to Blanco, NM because of poor water quality. In my opinion, your time would be better spent fishing from T-hole down to the take-out below the Aztec bridge and you will avoid the hassel of private water.

Good luck!
davidrrt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the responses. I was thinking about doing this when the weather warmed up a little bit. I was and am trying to get a feel for how feasible this is in reality. Some of the local business websites discuss these trips and talk about large caddis hatches and smaller brownies, I can hang with these circumstances. Anything to escape the combat fishing that sometines occurs in the quality section.

Thanks
________
Ford 4.4 turbo diesel history

Last edited by davidrrt on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
frednfrog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fished the lower river with great succes over the years and fish it exclusively during the prime months from May to Sept. the Caddis and BWO can be absolutely amazing fishing #18-#10 size bugs. I did struggle last year floating it (as far as catching fish but managed to do alright) with the higher than usual summer flows. There is a take out before you get to blanco at the hammond deversion finding the road to can be difficult if your coming from blanco and have turned towards the lake crossed the wash as you top out on the first hill its your first left then stay to the left down the dirt road there are NMDGF signs showing the way once your on the dirt. I prefer to float from crusher hole down the take out behind rainbow lodge but there is still some excelent fishing all the way to Blanco but it is a FULL day float. I have never floated it during off season so not sure how it would be this time of year but if you want to avoid the summer crowds its the place to be. Good luck
qinaqek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been enough sufficient space for the progress of the candidates. It has been identified for the formation of the write a paper for me for all good norms for the students.
sophiahanson176

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discussed so briefly in depth, from each angle, nice sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> General Fishing Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: