- Bead Belly Zonker
Lower River Pattern
||TMC Size 6-10
||Olive 6//0 Uni-Thread
||Natural Rabbit Zonker Strips
||Three 5/32 brass beads
||Pearlescent Mylar Tubing
- Slip 3 beads onto the hook
- Place the hook in the vise.
- Tie in the thread just behind the eye and wrap back over the beads to the bend of
- Cut a piece of mylar tubing to match the desired lenght and slide over the hook
from the eye back.
- Fray the ends of the tubing and create a tail.
- Secure the back end of the mylar near the bend
- Tie in the rabbit strip near the bend leaving an inch or two hanging beyond the
- Bunch the mylar up and pull it back until the hook shank is exposed and you can
wrap the thread forward.
- Wrap the thread forward over the beads and near the head.
- Pull the mylar forward, tie off near the head and trim
- Pull the rabbit forward, tie off near the head and trim.
- Form an nice tapered head, whip finish and cement.
||This pattern has raised some big fish in the San Juan and other
rivers as well. The beads are optional but I like them for added weight. You
can try different types of tubing and zonker strip colors. Works for a saltwater